May 9, 2013

Dear Dan




There have been many slabs of concrete laid along my street in the last few years. While they have been poured at different times, a significant number have been marked by 'Dan'. Which leads me to suspect Dan lives in my street. So Dan, perhaps I can encourage you to further develop your creative process. The last time you marked your name (on my driveway) I noticed some interesting line markings - flourishes even! Am I right in thinking your work is perhaps getting a little stale, and that these new line markings are your attempt to break out of what has become a repetitive rut? Because I think you're making real progress, significant creative strides! Maybe next time you could even do away with your name completely and simply draw an image - a portrait of yourself perhaps? I can see your work deals with themes of personal identity and belonging, as well as feelings of disenchantment in a capitalist world. I also wonder if the imminent prospect of death informs your work - an urge to immortilise yourself in stone (or it's country cousin, concrete). Anyway, I wish you well in your creative endeavours, and hope my comments may help encourage you to have the confidence to push your work a little further. I understand you are somewhat limited by time constraints working with this material, but I think with some further thought you could work around this, and even use it to your advantage. 

2 comments:

  1. cathyw2104May 09, 2013

    How wonderful to be witness to the rebirth of the Dannerism Art Movement in your very own street...in your very own driveway no less!? Your budding street artist is lucky to have found a mentor in you Savina!
    In summary: Dantastic!*

    *please...make it stop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. cathyw2104May 09, 2013

    Hey...I just had to prove I was not a robot to post that comment!?

    "Not happy Dan!"

    ReplyDelete